RODA, founded by Maria Peretzi, has been at the theatrical and musical forefront for 30 years, creating a modern tradition of the THEATRE OF THE SACRED.
Through a rich series of theatrical, musical, publishing and film activities, it attracts interest in Greece and abroad for its cultural activities.
- The Association of Greek Theatre and Music Critics unanimously awarded Dimitris Gasparatos the “Karolos Kοun 2014 – Actor’s Performance Award for a Greek Play” for his dynamic performance as Gilgamesh.
- INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION BY CNN: CNN’s American television channel devoted three long reports to presenting scenes from Ramayana, Gilgamesh and Amphiaraos, as well as interviews with key contributors.
- RODA IN FILM – INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THESSALONIKI: The documentary “Into the Centre of the Wheel” by Orpheas Peretzis, an existential adventure into the centre of the stage of the amateur actors of RODA, into the theatre’s backstage and their daily lives.
Alcibiades Saint, an elaborate theatrical production about the turbulent life of Alcibiades with live re-enactments of the Eleusinian and Cabeiri Mysteries and the Mysteries of Pan, presented at: “Piraeus Theatre 131”, “Aristotle Theatre” (Thessaloniki), Hall 3A, Festival of the Municipality of Maroussi, International Festival of the Municipality of Petroupolis, “Athinais Cultural Center”, Festival of the Municipality of Ilioupolis, Festival of the Municipality of Nea Makri, International Festival of Patras, Festival of the Municipality of Halandri (“Theatre of Rematia”), Festival of the Municipality of Agios Dimitrios, Festival “Theatro Vrachon” (Municipality of Byron), Festival of Kifissia.
Gilgamesh, the ancient Mesopotamian epic: “Katia Dandoulaki Theatre, “Theatraki” (Thessaloniki), International Festival of the Municipality of Petroupolis, Hall 3A, Festival of the Municipality of Kifissia, Festival of the Municipality of Halandri (“Theatre of Rematia”), Festival “Theatro Vrachon” (Municipality of Byron), Festival of the Municipality of Ilioupolis.
Amphiaraos, Apollo’s seer, “Piraeus Theatre 131”, “Forest Theatre” (Thessaloniki), Festival of the Municipality of Papagos, Festival of the Municipality of Peristeri, Festival of the Municipality of Halandri and Festival of the Municipality of Maroussi.
Shakespeare’s The Tempest, “Jenny Karezi Theatre”, International Festival of the Municipality of Petroupolis, Theatre of Ancient Olympia, Festival of the Municipality of Anoixi, Festival “Theatro Vrachon” (Municipality of Byron), Festival of the Municipality of Ilioupolis, Festival of the Municipality of Petroupolis, Festival of the Municipality of Vrilissia (Damari, Theatre “Aliki Vougiouklaki”)
Ramayana, the great epic of India, at Gazi, “Athinaikon Theater”.
The Journey of Sound, “Athinaikon Theater”.
Parts of the Odyssey, private hall of “RODA”
The Dream Routes, on the approach to the world of dreams through the modern theories of psychiatry, private hall of “RODA”
Music supervision / Orchestration MARIA PERETZI
Music, singing and vocals are the central building blocks of RODA’s theatrical performances, creating, each time, a sound universe that contributes decisively to the qualitative and innovative result of the group’s work.
Apart from the fact that every theatrical performance is also a unique musical concert, RODA created and organized the following:
– The live streaming concert “Cosmic Rhythm” (2021) with works by Gurdjieff – de Hartmann for piano and flute with Takis Paterelis, at the Theocharakis Foundation. “Cosmic Rhythm” was also presented as Live Concert with simultaneous live streaming worldwide at the Atrium of the Cultural Centre of Kifissia, at the Athens Conservatoire and in Hall 3A. A music that “touches” on ethnological elements and rituals of monastic brotherhoods, offering a rich repertoire whose roots are the folk and religious music of Central Asia as well as Russian Orthodox liturgical music.
– The CD “Cosmic Rhythm” produced by 3A Records (2019).
– The concert “Karnak: The Spaceship of the Contemporary Wizard” with music by Gurdjieff – de Hartmann in Hall 3A, at the Festival of the Municipality of Halandri (“Theatre of Rematia”)
– The concert “Seekers” with music by Gurdjieff – de Hartmann: Hall 3A, Performance & Event Venue of the Cultural Center of Kifissia, concert in the framework of the world conference “All and everything Conference” in Loutraki, at the American Community Schools (ACS) Arts Center. The same concert was presented with video art accompaniment at the French Institute, the Athens Concert Hall, Radio City (Thessaloniki), the Municipality of Halandri Festival (“Theater of Rematia”) and Hall 3A.
– The CD “Seekers”, produced by 3A Records (2012), was presented at the Venue for events of the “Public” store (Syntagma Square) through a panel discussion with Dimitri Peretzi, Takis Paterelis and Dimitris Gasparatos. The event, in which Takis Paterelis (piano), Pia Pierrakou (vocals / singing) and Dimitris Gasparatos (percussion) participated, was introduced by the composer, musicologist and professor of opera and musical theatre at the University of Athens, Mr. Minas Alexiadis.
The publishing activities of the Roda Theater include the publication of books describing its work and methods.
Moving Mirrors by Iphigenia Macri, Ph.D., 2007, Koan Publications. An analysis of Maria Peretzi’s psychological approach to theatre teaching, documenting the experiences of the members of RODA on the traces left by the tradition of the Sacred Theatre.
Roda Theatre. Moving Mirrors: A Psychological Approach to Acting and Teaching the Art of Theatre, Iphigenia Macri, Ph.D, 2010, 3 Alpha Publications Roda Theater
Am I one or many? by Dimitris Gasparatos, 2015, 3 Alpha Publications. An insightful study of the practice of Gurdjieff’s Work through the spirituality of the Theatrical Experience, as applied by the members of the RODA Group, according to the teaching of Maria Peretzi, in the living tradition of the Theatre of the Sacred.
Orpheas Peretzis’ documentary “Into the Center of the Wheel” was screened at the 18th Thessaloniki International Film Festival (2016), at the Pafos Festival (2018), at the Aegean Film Festival in Patmos (2017) and in the framework of the E3 programme. The film presents shots of the daily life and moments of the actors’ backstage preparation just before they go on stage, unfolding cinematically the magic of the ritual theatrical experience that takes place at every moment of the preparation and completion of the performances of the RODA Theatre.
Leave a Reply